Since a solid majority of respondents to the survey said that it was more important to them to receive daily previews throughout Philly Beer Week, I'll continue this year as I have in the past with a daily snapshot of what's to come and what you might find most interesting or that you may have missed on the calendar of events.
It may not be a perfect science, but I've pored over the calendar of events and come up with the following to share with you. Next up is day five, Tuesday, June 4.
- Bishop's Collar gives you the opportunity to Tube with Tomme and then hang out back at the pub to talk and drink of his beers.
- It's the last day Guillermo Tellez at Red Owl Tavern will be doing sausage specials paired with beers from his friends at Victory. Stop by anytime during day or night to check out this new place and tasty combinations. (May I recommend the Bell Ringer from Victory, which I've now had twice and immensely enjoyed?)
Try a new place
- Jolly's has been around for a few years yet I'm betting that many of you have not been to this dueling piano bar. They're hosting the whole crew from Starr Hill for what should be a big and fun night with lots of unique beers from this Charlottesville, Va. brewery.
- Have you been to the new Opa/Drury Beer Garden yet, just around the corner from McGillin's? They're doing what they're calling a Greek BBQ and serving up with Oskar Blues beers, which were also used in the BBQ preparation and cooking.
- A casual 5-k run with Adam Avery is a-happening at Hawthornes in South Philly, followed by beers and lunch at the restaurant.
- Haven't seen McGillin's a ton on the schedule this year. They have a great relationship with the pioneering Stoudt's Brewing Company in Lancaster County and are hosting Ed & Carol for lunch.
- Funky Buddha from Boca Raton gets a ton of beer geek love. They'll be at Devil's Den after 3 p.m. for what sounds like a great afternoon of Berliner Weisse.
- If you find yourself in Manayunk, you might like to check out what Maine Brewing Company has brought to town to serve up at Lucky's Last Chance on this evening.
- I haven't been to Eulogy in Old City in quite some time and I know that many of you swear by it. On this night, they'll be doing an event they're calling Barrel-ly Legal--even more wood. They had me at Tilquin Geueze and the rest of the list does not look to disappoint.
- How about a Late Night with Joe Gunn at Jose Pistola's? You've heard about these legendary sessions, yes?
- I like Doobies, the little neighborhood bar at 22nd/Lombard that has been serving up decent beer for quite some time and always involved with Philly Beer Week. Here, they'll be hosting a relatively new guy, Round Guys, for some special beers as they "keep it local".
- An epic showdown between beer and wine will be played out over a five-course meal at the Phoenxiville location of Iron Hill. These guys put on solid beer dinners throughout the course of the year at all their locations. This one should be no different. They're also, on this night, doing what appears to be a sold-out "collaboration dinner" with five local breweries at its Chestnut Hill location.
- It's the sixth year of Bobo showing off the Chimay at Teresa's Next Door in Wayne.
What about you? What have I missed?
© Bryan J. Kolesar and The Brew Lounge, 2005-2017. All content is owned and uniquely created by Bryan J. Kolesar. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Kolesar is strictly prohibited. Excerpts, images, and links may be used with advance permission granted and only provided that full and clear credit is given to Bryan J. Kolesar and The Brew Lounge with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Contact Kolesar at TheBrewLounge@gmail.com