You know what's been really fun sitting in my position of covering the regional Philly beer scene for the past ten years? It's been the people. Well, most of 'em anyway! Watching them come and go, watching them grow up, and watching them change.
Can't recall exactly what it was the other day that got me to thinking about how the past five or so years has seen a significant amount of turnover at breweries. Not really all that surprising given the coinciding tremendous growth in the industry which opens up all sorts of opportunities across the country.
And, many have heeded the call to take on bigger challenges. While I do tend to keep some pretty detailed lists about all facets of the industry, I won't claim that this is all-inclusive. Rather the ones I do have plus a few courtesy of Jack Curtin and Lew Bryson that have covered the scene for an even longer period of time. As you'll see, I was quite generous in my "regional" interpretation.
So as you head out to events at Philly Beer Week this year and wonder where so-and-so went that you remember seeing back in 2010, here's my attempt at helping you with that.
Have I missed any obvious ones that you're aware of? Have I any wrong or even more recent updates than the ones I've listed?
(p.s. alphabetical order by last name)
Scott Baver from The Lion to St. Killian to Devils Backbone in Lexington, VA
Chris Brugger from Tröegs to Otto's in State College
Curt Decker and Gordon Grubb from Nodding Head on Sansom Street in Philly to Nodding Head in ??????
Mike Fava from Nodding Head to Dock Street to Oxbow in Maine (edit: thanks Nancy; the proper order is Dock Street first, then Nodding Head)
John Fiorilli from Stewart's, then to Flying Fish, now at Mountain Sun in Boulder, CO
Casey Hughes from Flying Fish to Coppertail in Tampa, FL
Guy Hagner from Berwick to Susquehanna
Jennie Hatton-Baver from Profile PR and Philly Beer Week personified to Crabbie's Ginger Beer
Terry Hawbaker from Bullfrog to Farmer's Cabinet now at Pizza Boy/Intangible outside of Harrisburg
Patrick Jones last spotted at Triumph-Old City
Chris Leonard from General Lafayette to Fort Bend Brewing (Texas) and now Heavy Seas in Baltimore
Brian McConnell from Rock Bottom-KOP to Sterling Pig Brewery in Media
Jeff McCracken from Manayunk to Tired Hands to Origlio
Ryan Michaels from McKenzie Brew House to Rinn Duin in Toms River, NJ
Scott Morrison from Dock Street to Barren Hill and various consulting gigs
Gerard Olson from McKenzie Brew House to Forest & Main
Max Pfeffer from Victory to Sly Fox to Manatawny Still Works
Ben Potts from Dock Street, then to Dogfish Head, and now Tired Hands
Justin Quinlan from Dock Street to Urban Family Brewing in Seattle and now consulting/brewing occasionally but otherwise out of the industry
John Rehm from Philly Brewing to Two Roads in CT
Bryan Selders from Dogfish Head to The Post Brewing in Lafayette, CO
David Wood from Free Will to Barren Hill
from the Iron Hill family
- Paul Rutherford from Lancaster to Chestnut Hill to Ardmore
- Collin Farrell from Lancaster to Tired Hands to Brewers Outlet
- Chris LaPierre from West Chester to Maple Shade to Chestnut Hill
- Jeff Ramirez from Maple Shade to Mountain Sun to Denizens in Silver Spring, MD
- Bob Barrar from Media to 2SP Brewing in Aston, PA
- Kevin Walter from Media to Lancaster to Voorhees to Regional Brewer
- Vince Desrosiers from North Wales to Dock Street
- Larry Horwitz from West Chester to Regional Brewer to Four String Brewing in Columbus
- Jean Broillet from West Chester to Tired Hands
- Doug Marchakitus from North Wales to Manayunk back to North Wales
from the world of Philly Beer Geeks
- Natalie DeChico (2011 Philly Beer Geek) still with Weyerbacher
- Steve Mashington (2012) from Yards to Rogue
- Jess Streeter (2014) is up and running with Naked Brewing in Huntingdon Valley, PA
Post a Comment