Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Brewing Progress: Barleywine, Wee Heavy, Imperial Stout

The Barleywine is bottled. Just one problem though. I forgot the priming sugar. I'm hoping that there's enough sugars left in there to feed the extra yeast I pitched. I did check a bottle a couple days ago and it seamed to make a little pffssst when I uncapped it. I still can't believe I did this with the barleywine. It could prove to be a quite the expensive mistake. All that malt....sheesh. Both the Wee Heavy and Imperial Stout (aka Stoutenporter ;-) are still fermenting in my basement. It has been consistently cold here providing a nice cool environment for fermentation. Ahhh...waiting...it can be the hardest part of brewing. That and making stupid mistakes like forgetting the priming sugar. Above Image from this Wikimedia Commons entry. "foam on the bunghole from a barrel...on april 4th 2005 in brewery Timmermans" user Henna

1 comment:

The Angler said...

It's not too late to add priming sugar. Sure you'll waste a lot of caps, but you can boil up some dextrose and distribute a squirt to each bottle. Sanitize a graduated dropper to help you control the amount of sugar syrup added. I'll leave it as an exercise for you to calculate how much each bottle needs.