Since a solid majority of respondents to the survey said that it was more important to them to receive daily previews throughout Philly Beer Week, I'll continue this year as I have in the past with a daily snapshot of what's to come and what you might find most interesting or that you may have missed on the calendar of events.
It may not be a perfect science, but I've pored over the calendar of events and come up with the following to share with you. Next up is day six, Wednesday, June 5.
- Misconduct Tavern on Locust is a decent place for a few beers and a bite. All week, they're featuring local breweries (mostly new-ish ones) and Wednesday is Naked from Huntingdon Valley just outside Philly and they seem to have opened without a lot of notice. Their beer, though, I did notice at Opening Tap and you could use this event to do so likewise for yourself.
Try a new place
- There's a lot going on here at the new spot, Pennsylvania 6. Well-known Rob Tod of Allagash will be in the house along with rock star rep, Suzy Woods, jamming to the best of The Clash. Plenty of great beer from Allagash and oysters are the evening's itinerary. Should be a blast and a great way to check out a new spot.
- Just a hunch that many of you have not seen Race Street Café, though they've been there for quite a while and doing a decent job serving up great beer. This time, they're doing right by Harpoon to help them celebrate the Boston brewery's 20th anniversary.
- Memphis Taproom (as well as their sister establishments) host monthly "beer schools". This one will be a bit more special with a guest, Yvan de Baets, from Brasserie de la Senne coming all the way from Brussels.
- Maine is in the house at Nodding Head with Allagash's Rob Tod and former assistant brewer at Nodding Head, Mike Fava, now at Oxbow Brewing also in Maine.
- I was told by more than a few of you (and from pictures as well) that Dunkel Dare last year was a huge hit at Frankford Hall. They're back again this year. Sounds like a great time once again.
- The Dandelion for DiBruno Bros. cheese (Neal's Yard) and English ales sounds like slam dunk winner.
- Bill Covaleski will be your beer sommelier as plenty of food, entertainment, and beer will rule the night at Alla Spina.
- Underground Arts is constantly catching my attention this week. This time it's beer movie premiere with showings at 7 p.m., 9:30 p.m., and Midnight. Beer tastings will accompany them movie.
- If you missed Mike Fava and Oxbow Brewing earlier in the day, Jose Pistola's is doing a late night feature that should turn into quite the scene. It's a Homecoming Dance theme and that might be all you need to know.
- Speaking of late nights and friends that have moved away, City Tap House is hosting a late night with Joel Armato of New Holland Brewing. He'll be joined by friends Dan Conway from Left Hand and Ted Whitney from Avery. Sounds like all the ingredients for a perfectly innocent night.
- Don't know who will be there, but The Drafting Room in Exton is putting out a Pennsylvania versus New York "challenge" featuring beers from five solid beers from each state up against each other. Don't know what the process of determining "winner" will be, but you'll drink some mighty tasty beers along the way for sure.
- There's a special-priced version of Intro to Brewing Class at Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville for Philly Beer Week.
- If you're up for a real, bona fide 5-k race and can make it to Pottstown by 7 p.m., >Sly Fox is hosting a race and after-party that should be worth your while. Or you could meet their goats at Bar on Sansom Street in Philly. Or help them win Kingpin at Standard Tap.
What about you? What have I missed?
© Bryan J. Kolesar and The Brew Lounge, 2005-2016. All content is owned and uniquely created by Bryan J. Kolesar. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Kolesar is strictly prohibited. Excerpts, images, and links may be used with advance permission granted and only provided that full and clear credit is given to Bryan J. Kolesar and The Brew Lounge with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. Contact Kolesar at TheBrewLounge@gmail.com