This time of year people spend alot of effort looking for the best beer to give as a gift. We wrote about what to get the beer geek a while back. That was more about what to have on hand at your house for a visit from a beer geek though. Today I want to talk about buying a special beer or two...or six...or twenty four...(you get the picture), for that special person.
Well...this is a tall order. Maybe there are a few different approaches to this one. Here are some questions.
- Are they a beer geek or do they just like beer in general?
- If they aren't a beer geek then just find out what their favorite beer is and buy them what you can afford.
- If they are, well you may have your work cut out for you! Read on.
- Do they like a certain type of beer?
- lager vs. ale
- light vs. dark
- german vs. belgian vs. irish etc.
- domestic vs. imported
- mild vs. extreme
- hops vs. malt
- wheat vs. barley
- West Coast vs. East Coast
- Bitter vs. Mild
- big vs. little (abv.)
- typical vs. extreme
- fruit vs. no fruit
- fancy vs. plain
- well known vs. obscure
- rare vs. mainstream
- seasonal vs. year round
Bryan, if this works out I guess I'll have to buy if for you! If it doesn't, you're getting a case of macro brew...heheh.
So, over the next couple of days I'll document my effort to buy Bryan the perfect beer for Christmas. If you want to help, just let me know by leaving a comment. I think I'm going to need all the help I can get!